Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The One of Chili

The original recipe for this chili, which comes from the hallowed halls of Sunset magazine, is very good, but I made a single crucial amendment to the recipe that, for me, brought it to all new heights.

Much like Neo was The One where The Matrix was concerned, well, this chili became The One where chili was concerned. 

I think you'll appreciate the crucial amendment, too: homecanned tomatoes. 


I use only my homecanned tomatoes in place of storebought canned tomatoes and, holy mackerel, it makes me want to smack my lips. In fact, I do believe that I DO smack my lips when I eat this chili. Which is often, in the winter months, because it is also one of my favorite things to make.

It's a handy one pot dish (as most chilis are) and it's so satisfying to compile that it just pleases me on all levels.

That's a lot of love from one dinner, so it gets a special place in my book. Right next to The Best Sauce Ever. Yep. and this Chocolate Beet Cake.

Just to forewarn the meat fearful out there - this is not a vegetarian chili recipe. And for those who are bean fearful - this is not a beanless recipe, but you can make it one by just...wait for it...not adding beans.





The One of Chili
Adapted from Smoky Beef and Bacon Chili from Sunset Magazine
My changes in bold 

Makes 6 servings
Ingredients
2 slices thick-cut peppered bacon, finely chopped
1 
large onion, finely chopped
1 
large garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 
pounds lean ground beef
1 
tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 
teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 
teaspoons paprika 
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
About 1 tsp. salt
1 
can (14.5 oz.) homegrown tomatoes
8 oz. of homemade tomato sauce
1 
bottle of India Pale Ale beer (gluten fearful? Use a gluten-free beer.)
1 
teaspoon Worcestershire
1 
can (14.5 oz.) pinto beans, drained (bean fearful people, this is what I was talking about)
Sour cream and grated cheddar for topping

To make
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes. 

Add onion, lower heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 7 minutes. 

Uncover pan, stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.

Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef; break it up with a wooden spoon and stir gently until it loses its raw color, 6 to 8 minutes. 

Stir in spices and 1 tsp. salt and cook 1 minute. 

Add homecanned tomatoes, homemade tomato sauce, beer and Worcestershire and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially and cook 30 minutes.
Add beans and cook 10 minutes, uncovered. (Bean fearfuls - you get to skip this step.) 

Season to taste with additional salt. Serve warm, with toppings on the side.

And in case you want some direction on the toppings, I'd go with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and some crispy bacon. 

But I bet you could have thought that up on your own. Sorry, I was fantasizing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment