Thursday, November 8, 2012

Citrus. It's not just important for pirates.

Indie Farms' Kumquat

Like making Russian Tea around the holidays? What about fresh squeezed orange juice for those family breakfasts? Planning to ruin some kids' Christmases by stuffing their stockings with Clementines?


That's right, I said it. Kids don't get excited about an orange in their stockings. I don't even celebrate Christmas and I know that.

But you still do it, don't you?

Right on. I'd do it too. Because I love Clementines and, hey, if someone's going to fill a sock with something for me, I'd rather it be sweet little citrus rather than big sweaty foot, am I right?

Who are you trying to fool with fruit in the stocking?

Anyway, I've gotten off track. What I wanted to tell you guys was that, if you want to make sure to have a big sweet (or tart) citrus harvest this winter in NorCal, now's the time to feed your trees.

They're blossoming, setting fruit and getting ready to go to the winter show right now and they need a snack before they go.

The timing and schedule for feeding citrus vary depending on who you talk to, but in the test garden, we feed our potted and planted citrus on a monthly basis with an organic citrus food like Dr. Earth's Fruit Tree Fertilizer. Then we reap a mighty harvest all winter long without fear of the scurvy that plagued our seafaring ancestors.

Arrrrr! Avast ye matey!

What?

Yeah - just making sure you're still paying attention.

Feed me, Seymour.
Feeding your trees is easy:
  1. Measure out the recommended amount (based on the size of the tree's trunk) into a garden-only measuring cup.
  2. Pour it around the base of the tree.
  3. Mix it in to the surface of the soil by hand.
  4. Water it in well.
  5. Walk away for a month. (But still water when the soil is dry to the touch)
This will keep your fruit trees well fed so that, in return, they can make you some food. And fodder for Christmas stockings, much needed adult beverages, holiday gifts (that also happen to be adult beverages) and remedies for cold and flu symptoms.

Want more citrus recipes? Check it.

Medicinal produce that does not require a special card.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could grow citrus! I've thought about trying the indoor thing, but I can barely keep my non-blooming houseplants alive.

    Also, our kids actually like the clementines in their stockings. Our youngest insists that we stock up mid-December. But then again, she just asked for her own box of cereal for Christmas, because apparently she's tired of having to share Cinnamon Life with the rest of the family. Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete