Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mouth-spankingly good salad dressing

Sometimes I find myself with a giant pile of salad greens and very little inspiration. Like, I know I'm supposed to eat these greens - and furthermore I WANT to eat them - but then I get bored.

I mean, I could always just give them the old olive oil and vinegar treatment, but that gets old when you've been having salads with dinner every single night because your winter greens are exploding and so - I must dress it up. 

Thankfully we live in Northern California where winter also means citrus and we also spent a good amount of time in the summer and fall making pesto from all of the garden's basil, so a mouth-spankingly good salad dressing is only a whisk away.

That's right - a whisk away. I just made that up. I guess I'm getting cheeky around the holidays. Forgive me.

Make this dressing and then enjoy your mouth spanking.

Pesto Lemon Dressing


Ingredients
Juice from 1 Meyer lemon
1 T homemade pesto (or storebought - we don't judge)
3 T olive oil
1 T kosher salt
1 T fresh ground pepper
2 big handfuls arugula or whatever greens you have in the garden

To make
In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, pesto, salt and pepper. When thoroughly blended, add olive oil one tablespoon at a time until completely blended.


Then toss in TO THE VERY SAME BOWL a couple big handfuls of freshly picked arugula or whatever greens you have on hand (mustard, fava leaves, spinach, beet greens, kale...) right from your garden and toss to coat.

We had a few tomatoes still sitting on the counter, so those went in, too.

That's it. Now go eat those greens.

1 comment: